[Gllug] Re: Gates to get Knighthood!!! (Andrew Halliwell)

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 16:25:11 UTC 2005

John Hearns wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 22:12 +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 05:38:22PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
>>

>>>They ran on all sort of chips - the Zilog Z80, the 6802, the 68000 to
>>>name but a few.
>>>

>>Ahah, the motorola 68k - there was a nice processor. 32 bits, none of the
>>nasty segmentation that you have with the 8086/80286.
>>

>I learned to program in assembler on a Motorola 68000 trainer board.
>And that was in a physics department.
>
>I still have my copy of "68000 Assembler" by Kane, Hawkins and Leventhal

    I still have a 2 Atari ST in my roof, Back in thouse days the Atrai
was about the same price as the i386 possibly a bit cheaper I can't
remember, I remember when there were big Amega Vs ST debates.....
    The Atrai had a Window based OS, and If Linux and not been created
on the i386 it would have been created on somthing else. When the Atrai
Falcon was released it looked like the future. Unfortinally Atari did
not emply any sales force and hanse it went flop like Betamax Videos, In
short Windows is to computer what VHS is to video plays. and we all know
history will only be repeated again and again.
    Linux can still learn from Windows, just as Windows can learn from
Linux eventually we will have it better, But strangly sooner with out
Software Patents and Copyright.
    In short the Law stifles progress.

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk