[Gllug] BIND9 Problems

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Mar 1 16:52:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 16:28 +0000, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed a base BIND9 and made some minor modifications found
> in the named.conf man page relating to dynamic updates. My problem is
> that I have a domain (sjwcc.com) which is hosted externally and I want
> to use home.sjwcc.com for my home domain. Whenever I dig home.sjwcc.com
> it goes to the external name server and not my local one.
>
> Am I attempting the impossible

No, it's perfectly feasible and it's exactly what I do here.

Have you changed /etc/resolv.conf to tell your local resolver library to
use the local DNS server in preference to your ISP's one?

Assuming your existing ISP's DNS server is aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd you should
previously (pre local DNS server) have had:

nameserver aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

in /etc/resolv.conf

Now you have your own local DNS server you want to put:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

in /etc/resolv.conf and:

    forwarders {
        aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd;
    };

in /etc/bind/named.conf (or similar file to suit your setup).

HTH
John

--
John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk>