[Gllug] vi vs emacs (repeat)

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Sun Mar 6 13:32:16 UTC 2005

> Sys Admins usually go for vi as they need to write/edit lots of conf files
> and/or script, vi is fast, small and almost always present in the OS.

btw. as some don't seem to be aware of that - you can get to better
"startup" speeds in emacs by using gnuserv mode  (that way, you start an
emacs instance in background in gnuserv mode when you log in, and then
attach to it to edit files with gnuclient, whenever you need an editor).

Doesn't take care of the "small" and "almost always present" points about
vi, though...

   Benedikt

--
 	It seems I think I am, therefore it seems I am, I think!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk