[Gllug] Logo as a first language

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Fri Mar 4 11:09:34 UTC 2005

Ian Norton writes:

>If I were starting today, I would probably like to start with a
>shell scripting language like csh. from there the launch to perl
>or C arent that painful.

csh isn't a shell scripting language. It's a horrible nightmare.
It's fine for interactive use, but stick to sh or ksh for scripting.
I'm also not convinced that any of the common shell scripting languages
make for a good first langauge. There are too many bad habits to get
into that would hinder you later.

Personally, I still think C is hard to beat as a first language[1].
I'd maybe include Python these days as an alternative.

Tet

[1] Actually, starting with assembly language would give people a much
    better understanding of the higher level languages. But I appreciate
    that's a bit extreme and would put a lot of people off :-)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk