[Gllug] BIND9 Problems

Wiehe, Simon simon.wiehe at csfb.com
Tue Mar 1 17:13:28 UTC 2005

> John wrote
>
> No, it's perfectly feasible and it's exactly what I do here.
>
> Have you changed /etc/resolv.conf to tell your local resolver library to
> use the local DNS server in preference to your ISP's one?
>
> Assuming your existing ISP's DNS server is aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd you should
> previously (pre local DNS server) have had:
>
> nameserver aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
>
> in /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Now you have your own local DNS server you want to put:
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> in /etc/resolv.conf and:
>
>     forwarders {
>         aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd;
>     };
>
> in /etc/bind/named.conf (or similar file to suit your setup).

This is what I have but it still seems to go outside rather than looking
at my name service. Maybe I have a db file misconfigured so it can't
respond. I just have SOA records in there at the moment could that
cause the problem? Also I am querying home.sjwcc.com whereas ultimately
it will be xxxx.home.sjwcc.com

Thanks

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk