[Gllug] DVD`s supporting DMA?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue May 24 12:51:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Doug Winter yowled:
> Now I always ask for a console to be attached before I reboot to a 2.6
> kernel from 2.4 - which to be honest is probably a good idea anyway
> since there's so many other things that can go wrong - I got spanked
> by the megaraid module changing name once too.

The change in the LVM startup sequence and utterly broken attempts by
various distros to automatically switch between LVM1 and LVM2 when
booting between 2.4 and 2.6 are what's torpedoed me in the past.

Nowadays I use the script below (needs sed on an accessible FS, but not
grep), to which all LVM commands are symlinked. (Debian uses a binary to
do the same thing, which checks the LVM version by
ioctl()-on-the-LVM-device.  It's a shame that that ioctl() only returns
*anything* in kernel 2.4, since in 2.6 LVM is no longer a kernel
component at all... I can't imagine how it ever works for
anyone. Perhaps the Debian source kernels have some change to make it
work.)

#!/bin/bash
#
# lvmiopversion --- invokes an LVM tool for the appropriate LVM version.
#

TOOL=$(echo $0 | sed 's,^.*/,,g')
LVM=

if [[ -n "$(sed -n '/lvm$/p' < /proc/devices)" ]]; then
    LVM=lvm-10
elif [[ -n "$(sed -n '/device-mapper$/p' < /proc/devices)" ]]; then
    LVM=lvm-200
else
    LVM=lvm-default
fi

if [[ "$TOOL" = lvmiopversion ]]; then
    echo $LVM
else
    exec /lib/$LVM/$TOOL "$@"
fi

--
`Once again, I must remark on the far-reaching extent of my
 ladylike nature.' --- Rosie Taylor
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk