[Gllug] DVD`s supporting DMA?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon May 23 15:40:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Rich Walker whispered secretively:
> Doug Winter <doug at pigeonhold.com> writes:
>
>> If this machine is remote, and you don't have a console on it, beware
>> the "switching ethernet interfaces problem" when upgrading from 2.4 to
>> 2.6.  Every time I've done this on machines with more than one
>> interface the interfaces have been named in a different order when
>> booting in 2.6.

Renaming your interfaces explicitly would... not *fix* this, exactly,
but reduce the number of places you need to fiddle to one. (This makes
it more practical to do over the phone :) )

> Lovely.
>
> Fortunately, on this machine I have a far worse problem to fear - the
> "IDE chipsets in different order" problem.

LVM, mount-by-LABEL, mount-by-UUID... there are *lots* of ways to fix
this.

--
`Once again, I must remark on the far-reaching extent of my
 ladylike nature.' --- Rosie Taylor
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk