[Gllug] 32-bit CardBus in laptop

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Sun May 22 16:43:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 02:27:10PM +0100, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> My new craptop supports 32-bit CardBus and I got a 802.11g wireless card
> with it that worked under Wiondows XP.  However, under Linux the card
> doesn't even seem to be attempting to be detected.  The card
> specifically says "32-bit CardBus" on it.
>
> Normally when you plug in a card (supported or not), Hotplug picks up
> the insertion event and then either loads the relevant modules or not.
> However with this one I'm not getting anything.  Just nothing.
>
> So what's different between my Linux setup and how WinXP worked?  It's a
> stock Ubuntu kernel and install.

Hiya Simon,

* cardbus cards are 32bit, they area basically PCI.
* pccards are 16bit, they are basically 16bit ISA.

there arent alot of free-software linux drivers for 802.11g cards, do you know
what make the card is?

running cardctl ident will reveal the manufacturer id and model id so it might
help in looking for a driver.

if it helps, my proxim orinoco silver 802.11a/b/g card uses the madwifi driver.

--
Ian Norton-Badrul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk