[Gllug] Upgrading thin Ethernet....

ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed May 11 19:56:16 UTC 2005

chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> in my experience, an intermittent cable is more trouble than a broken one!

In my experience, coax/BNC is usually intermittent:)

I threw out the coax at home some years ago after I crashed a game of Command&Conquer some other people were having by moving an unrelated machine two inches. I wasn't very popular - I think they'd been at it some hours.

IBM SPs (huge clusters of RS/6000s) used to use coax for their internal communication. They frequently didn't communicate. I recall one of their SP gurus once fixing an SP network by removing a BNC connector and blowing on it. What really impressed me was how he got the correct connector, out of about 50, first time. I still don't know whether he had some obscure insight or was just lucky, as far as I could see the whole thing just didn't work.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk