[Gllug] SUMMARY: PXE Install (Debian)

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Wed May 11 20:24:36 UTC 2005

Hello all,

Thanks very much to Patrice Neff and Jerome Warnier for their patient
suggestions, and to my friends at the Greater London Linux User Group
(http://www.gllug.org.uk)

In the end there were only two problems:

1) The task of ensuring that the location of the pxelinux.0 file is
the same in inetd.conf and dhcpd.conf.

This means ensuring that you specify the -s option in tftpd-hpa and
don't give an absolute path in dhcpd.conf.

The default entry in inetd.conf that Debian places needs to be
changed, and also you need to ensure tftpd is allowed in
/etc/default/tftpd-hpa.

In the end my configs looked like this:

inetd.conf:

tftp           dgram   udp     wait    root  /usr/sbin/tcpd
in.tftpd -s /var/lib/tftpboot

dhcpd.conf:

option domain-name "sheep.home";
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
allow booting;
allow bootp;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        range 192.168.1.20 192.168.1.100;
        option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
}

group {
        next-server 192.168.1.3;
        host tftpclient {
                hardware ethernet 00:08:C7:9A:8D:FE;
                filename "pxelinux.0";
        }
}

2) Intel Ethernet Pro 100 cards have a dodgy PXE implementation and
need to be reflashed with the IBAUTIL.EXE utility.

Get the disk image from:

http://plume.bxlug.be/uploadfiles/39/download/ibautil.img

Then put the image onto a floppy (I recommend a new one - I had
problems with old ones):

dd if=ibautil.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k count=1

Boot off the floppy, choose option 2, then option 3 to get to a dos prompt.

At the dos prompt do:

ibautil -upgrade

This reflashes the NIC with a newer image, which works fine.

Thanks to everyone who offered helpful ideas.

Steve Nelson
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk