[Gllug] Thursday Grauniad

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat May 21 12:53:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 09:05:03AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> Well, no. Jack's article does explain that many people don't even bother
> to install the free Service Pack 2, to make security updates.
> As he says, they will be unlikely to register for an update service.

It's not really that they "don't even bother" - more that they have no
idea such a thing exists, what it is, or why it is relevant to them.

We'd be better off having operating systems which properly separated
code-in-levels-of-the-OS from code-downloaded-from-untrusted-places,
using languages which didn't suffer from buffer overflows, and using
automated proofs to logically prove that as much critical code as
possible was correct.  Neither Linux nor Windows are anywhere near
this level of sophistication, although the techniques are hardly new.

At the same time I'm reading a couple of Schneier books at the moment
- _Secrets and Lies_ and _Beyond Fear_ - and so I realise why none of
this is going to happen any time soon.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.