[Gllug] [ot] borked net transaction

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at hotmail.com
Fri May 6 15:14:53 UTC 2005

Credit card companies are jointly liable along with the suppliers for
puchases over £100 under the 1974 Consumer Credit Act.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/consumer/04_CREDIT_DEBT/mn_protection.html

If after exhausting all option with the credit card company you are still
unsatisfied you could take it to arbritration through the financial
ombudsman and if you were still unhappy you could take it to court.

There are currently different legal intepretations of the act and how it
applies to companies trading from abroad, whilst some banks agree with the
FSA that these transaction are covered by the act, some banks are not
providing this protection. I believe a test case is yet to be heard.

With regards to the failed SQL, if it's an off the shelf ecommerce solution
I would hope the entire set of statements are wrapped in a transaction so
the failure should result in nothing being applied - I'd say it's very
unlikely that they charged you anyway.

Matt.