[Gllug] DVD`s supporting DMA?

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Mon May 23 15:09:03 UTC 2005

Doug Winter <doug at pigeonhold.com> writes:

> Rich Walker wrote:
>> Then I'm going to assume a kernel upgrade or some change in which IDE
>> Port it's on will help, next time I get to shut the machine down.
>
> If this machine is remote, and you don't have a console on it, beware
> the "switching ethernet interfaces problem" when upgrading from 2.4 to
> 2.6.  Every time I've done this on machines with more than one
> interface the interfaces have been named in a different order when
> booting in 2.6.

Lovely.

Fortunately, on this machine I have a far worse problem to fear - the
"IDE chipsets in different order" problem. ide=reverse has been in and
out of the boot options more than a few times, and prior to that I was
booting from a kernel on a floppy (with ide=reverse root=/dev/hda6
hard-coded into the kernel source tree) because I couldn't get LILO to
handle the swapping around of the drives. Since I moved to GRUB, life
has been *less bad* (Take that as a vote in favour of GRUB, whoever's
scorekeeping)...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml