[GLLUG] PXE Install

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Tue May 10 06:41:07 UTC 2005

On 5/10/05, Adam Bower <adam at thebowery.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 09:42:26PM +0000, Steve Nelson wrote:
> >
> > The server is a debian/sarge machine, on which I have installed the
> > isc dhcp server and tftpd-hpa.  I have untarred the netboot.tar.gz
> > image from the debian-installer repository and placed this into
> > /tftpboot.
>
> I had lots of "fun" doing this the other day. In the end I found that
> for some reason using tftpd-hpa didn't work so used atftpd instead.

You know, I have a recollection that the last time I did this (which
of course I stupidly didn't document) I alsu used atftpd in  the end.
However, I did try using atftpd and got timeouts (see original post).

> also found that triple checking the config in inetd.conf (and correcting
> the incorrect bits) and then restarting inetd made a *huge* difference
> (all quite obvious really) as inetd only picks up on configuration
> changes after a -HUP.

*nod* Yeah, I have been restarting inetd, as for the config in
inetd.conf.  Not sure what other changes to make in inetd.conf
though....  I don't suppose you have a record of your entry do you?

> Oh, and for some reason the Debian boot images I was trying to use gave
> me wonderful psychedelic graphical corruption on my mini-itx box so I
> ended up using the Ubuntu pxe install bits instead, which worked first
> time but it sounds like you aren't getting this far.

Nope :( But noted in case!

> Adam

Thanks!

S.