[Gllug] How to report online crime...

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat May 21 19:59:22 UTC 2005

On Sat 21 May, Wenceslao Requejo wrote:

> Does anyone knows how to report online fraud, and if it is worthy?
>
> I just got an e-mail supposed to be form ebay telling me that there was
> some security alert, and bla bla, that I should sign in following  a
> "secure link"  bla, bla bla, to enter card details and bla,bla..Anyway,
> they didn't mess around with me (the link is a javascrip applet from a
> polish university), I know what I am doing, but some people may not,
> shoud I be a good citizen and report it ? How? What would you do?

   Depends whether it is your home account or one at university. If it not
your home account you probably should notify the IT department, otherwise
your ISP may have advice, (I was given an address by the Demon/Thus abuse
department). You can also contact the National High Tech Crime Unit

http://www.nhtcu.org.uk

or your local police.

--
Chris Bell