[Gllug] Two Adsl Connections

Peter Childs bluedragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 21 07:52:41 UTC 2005

Russell Howe wrote:

>On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 12:13:39PM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
>

>>   I'm thinking of getting a second adsl connection at work for
>>reduntancy when and if one fails for what ever reason
>>

>I can only really think of two likely reasons for an ADSL line failing:
>
>* A fault at the Exchange, which would affect all DSL circuits at that
>  exchange
>* A fault on the LNS you are connected to, affecting all users on that
>  LNS

    Ok maybe I can discribe the problem with our ADSL connection and
maybe there is a simple fix.
    We have a BT Business ADSL connection and until about two weeks ago
this ran happerly at 512kbs no problem.
    BT decided that they would upgrade all bussiness connections to
2048kbs for free this seamed like a good idea to us as we were planning
to upgrade anyway.
    Since we were upgraded we have been losing packets. to begin with
this was about 20% and this made the connection unuseable. Now its
improved to about 1% depending upon other factors like the time of the
day. But its still not as good as it was (ie its slower and we get loads
of connection timeouts meaning its not really usable for some jobs)
    BT must have done somthing to improve it but would seam to have
stoped short of following our demands to put us back and would seam to
want to charge us for putting it back.
    Anyway, What would cause this is it BT fault or somthing easy and
would moving to a unbundled providor like Easynet or Bulldog help?

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk