[Gllug] Two Adsl Connections

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sat May 21 08:27:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 08:52:41AM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
>    BT decided that they would upgrade all bussiness connections to
> 2048kbs for free this seamed like a good idea to us as we were planning
> to upgrade anyway.
>    Since we were upgraded we have been losing packets

If your ISP is dropping packets, then having two lines will probably
just mean that you drop twice as many!

I would collect some performance statistics about the packet loss and
send them to BT, stating that if things don't improve pronto, you're
taking your business elsewhere.

That said, I would be more suspicious of the ADSL box than of BT. Does
your DSL modem produce information on the quality of the line?

A tool such as mtr will show you where the packet loss is occurring,
which might help you to pinpoint the problem. Also, you could probably
use something like cacti to quickly set up some monitoring, with graphs.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk