[Gllug] silent cheap pc

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Tue May 24 16:55:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 16:48 +0100, Steve Nelson wrote:
> On 5/24/05, Rich Walker <rw at shadow.org.uk> wrote:
> > neil chambers <neil at cozyspace.net> writes:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have been on the lookout for a reasonably priced fanless PC that
> > > will sit under the desk at home and run my "stuff that must not be
> > > turned off - ever!".
>
> I have a SparcStation5 running Debian.  Its very quiet, cool, and
> reliable, and perfectly responsive.  Its never fallen over, and has
> been running continually for over a year.  I think I paid about 20
> quid for it.

Hmmm. I have a Sparcstation 20 (cost me a fiver). It is quietish (but
hot) is as slow as hell (even though it's dualed-up) and falls over
every ten to twenty days though I run it pretty hard. (Running Aurora
Linux 1.0 - a RedHat 7.3 clone).

I don't recommend it :(

--
Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk>