[Gllug] silent cheap pc

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue May 24 16:37:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Steve Nelson wrote:

>On 5/24/05, Rich Walker <rw at shadow.org.uk> wrote:
>> neil chambers <neil at cozyspace.net> writes:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have been on the lookout for a reasonably priced fanless PC that
>> > will sit under the desk at home and run my "stuff that must not be
>> > turned off - ever!".
>
>I have a SparcStation5 running Debian.  Its very quiet, cool, and
>reliable, and perfectly responsive.  Its never fallen over, and has
>been running continually for over a year.  I think I paid about 20
>quid for it.
>
>If you want something smaller, maybe one of the mini-itx boxes - my
>friend uses one of these, but it cost him rather a lot more than my
>SS5.

I've aquired a PC based thin client made by Neoware Systems, an EON 3000.
Contains a 233MHz Geode chip, 64MB RAM (SO-DIMM) and 24MB FLASH disk. I'll
probably stick a SCSI card in the PCI slot and use an existing external
SCSI disk for storage, install the bootstrap on the FLASH disk, and away
we go.

You might pick up such a thin client on ebay. A cheaper storage option
might be to use USB2. More modern thin clients have USB2 built in. A
number of modern systems from Wyse already run embedded Linux, as does the
Neoware I have.

Something like this may be convertable to Linux:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1479&item=5776812665&rd=1

>S.
>--

    /"\