[Gllug] uml networking

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Wed May 11 08:39:39 UTC 2005

Minty wrote:
> I'm thinking about playing with UserMode Linux and specifically want
> to have the virtual servers on different local (private) net blocks.
>
> ..adsl/static ip...
>     UML Host -> Virtual Host1 @ 192.168.1.1
>        | | |__> Virtual Host2 @ 192.168.1.2
>        | |____> Virtual Host3 @ 192.168.2.1
>        |______> Virtual Host4 @ 192.168.2.2
>
> And have each virtual host routable to any other virtual host, and
> some virtual hosts routable from outside via port forwarding.  So
> 192.168.1.* might be web/mail servers, 192.168.2.* "internal" dev
> boxes.

Not sure what UML is, but either way, why do you want to do what you do?

If the splitting of the virtual hosts across /24 subnets is some
concession to security("internal"), you might as well not bother in
principle as they're on the same machine. A DMZ setup with two separate
physical network segments of some description and separate public and
internal machines would be the minimum required to achieve some measure
of anti-crackability if that's what you want.

If you want them inter-routable, a subnet mask of 255.255.254.0 will
achieve what you want - again it's pretty pointless as you only have 4
hosts. If you're PATting from the outside world, the outside world
doesn't have any inkling of what your setup is, nor the ability to route
  anywhere except where you intend.

If I missed something fundamental, do please shout :)

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk