[Gllug] Thursday Grauniad

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri May 20 08:05:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 07:05 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Thursday 19 May 2005 14:44, John Hearns wrote:
>
> > Jack Schofield's column this week on the Microsoft OneCare service
> > (proposed subscription service for updates, security fixes, virus
> > scanning, making sure backups are done....) at first didn't trouble me.
>
> This "OneCare" nonsense looks like some kind of protection racket to me.  Is
> MS actually "Mafia Software"?

Well, no. Jack's article does explain that many people don't even bother
to install the free Service Pack 2, to make security updates.
As he says, they will be unlikely to register for an update service.

I don't see anything wrong with the OneCare service - well, I'm a bit
worried that it will look at your files and see if they are updated.
Actually, for small businesses and home users having a remote systems
admin done automatically is a good idea.
We for instance to a lot of support remotely - but we aren't software
robots...robots...r o b o t..

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk