[Gllug] Experiences with Thunderbird and LDAP

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed May 18 15:12:56 UTC 2005

Russell Howe said:
> What I'd like to do is use something like OpenLDAP's shell backend to
> translate the LDAP query into an SQL one, query the contacts database,
> and return LDIF back to Thunderbird. Then changes made to the database
> would be instantly available via the LDAP server, without the 1 hour
> lag.

There's a DB backend to OpenLDAP that you could use (/me Googles like a
mad man, doesn't find the example in mind, but you can start with:
http://www.flatmtn.com/computer/Linux-LDAP.html ). It is ugly, and
inflexible, but might be just what you need.

> It would be quite easy to knock up a simple webapp for editing the LDAP
> directory.

Heaps of stuff out there, in many guises, no need to build another wheel.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk