[Gllug] CD-Rom writing

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 4 09:02:00 UTC 2005

Chris Bell wrote:

>On Wed 04 May, Peter Childs wrote:
>

>>    I saw this when it wized passed and thought it strange, I'm using
>>Debian, well Knoppix installed and upgraded apt actually,
>>
>>Peter Childs
>>

>   That could be a part of your problem, as Knoppix is based on Debian
>unstable, (Sid), and not Sarge. Much of Debian "testing" (Sarge) has been
>held frozen while release critical bugs are squashed and all architectures
>struggle to reach the same development state, while some development has
>progressed in Sid. Some developers are also working for both Debian and
>Ubunto. There is no guarantee that all versions are in similar states.
>   I do not have easy access to a machine running Sarge at present, but I do
>remember something about setting the writer as /media/cdromN, not
>/dev/cdromN, and possibly starting from 1 instead of 0.
>   I assume that you had a problem with the new Debian installer, still
>currently listed as in testing, and did not attempt to use the old Woody
>installer. The best version to use for network installations is normally the
>"businesscard" and not the larger netinstaller ISO, which is aimed mainly at
>the Debian developers, and contains a basic 386 kernel.

    No actually I installed it so long ago its rediculus. I don't have
/media on the machine, but it sounds quite useful, so might be setting
it up. also the strange thing is both ide-scsi and ide_cd are loaded it
confuses me a bit...
    Is there some way of switching it on as the last thing I want to do
is reinstall.
    More reciently I've used the new debian installer and found it to
work very well. (at work)

Peter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk