[Gllug] No access to GUI for Mandrake Linux!

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Wed May 4 10:10:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 09:23:58 +0100, Sabah Iftikhar wrote:
> I'm having problems with my Mandrake Linux 10.1. Having left a large
> simultation program running,I find that I am not able to gain entry to the
> graphical user interface. I am however, able to work on the text mode. The
> simulation had a "segmentation fault" and crashed out.
> The memory for the partition of the drive I was using was about 6G and it
> is full according to 'df' in bash. I suspect that the program I was
> running had some kind of memory leak (up to 1G).
> I have tried the 'find' function to look for a file +10000k but nothing
> shows up. I think I need to free the memory by removing a file/s generated
> by the simulation programme.
>
> Any suggestions? (please let me know if I need to include more details.)

Hi Sab,

It seems you are getting confused between hard disk space and physical
memory.  This is worth reading up on.

If a still-running program has a file open that you have since deleted, the
file will still take up space on disk until that program either closes the
file (a SIGHUP on a lot of daemons will cause them to close and re-open
files) or dies.  If all else fails, try rebooting.  This will at least
verify that it is this phenomenon, if the space is reclaimed.

What is the exact find command you are running?  Try probing around with "du
-s *" commands too.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk