[Gllug] CD-Rom Writing,

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed May 4 10:17:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Russell G. Howe uttered the following:
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 08:33:50PM +0100, Liam Smit wrote:
>> >cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.8-2-k7
>> >cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
>> >cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
>>
>> With Linux you often get warnings. They are not ashamed to warn you of
>> problems even if they are "non-fatal".
>
> This is just the cdrecord author having a bitch at Linux.

Yes. Most of the warnings mean `Linux is not exactly the same as Solaris
in every respect, and treats ATAPI devices like IDE devices from the
user POV'.

Schilling actually thinks that users *like* referring to IDE drives via
SCSI LUNs. I've never seen anyone agree with him, but that won't stop
a religious zealot... I think all those years slaving over the insane
standards violations of CD writers has driven him into kookery or
something.

--
`End users are just test loads for verifying that the system works, kind of
 like resistors in an electrical circuit.' - Kaz Kylheku in c.o.l.d.s
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk