[Gllug] Email servers.

Wiehe, Simon simon.wiehe at csfb.com
Thu May 12 09:40:27 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am running Ubuntu and last night I finally managed to get Cyrus IMAP server working. It turns out that I was using the wrong authentication method by default and a single change in the config file meant I can now connect to my mailbox from any 1 of my 3 machines.

My next question is what is the best method for retrieving email from my hosting companies POP3 server and populating the Cyrus inbox. Is this something that postfix can do or should I be using fetchmail? I have approximately 15 POP3 accounts to access.

Secondly, I could use my hosting company's server for outbound email but I would sooner use my own server. I would prefer to use a direct method from my server but am happy to use my server as a relay to my hosting company.

Finally, I am thinking of changing my ISP and getting a fixed IP address, this would allow me to remove the need for POP3 and I could take SMTP inbound. Which software would be best for this ?

Thanks

Simon

This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you received this message in error please delete it and notify us. If this message was misdirected, CSFB does not waive any confidentiality or privilege. CSFB retains and monitors electronic communications sent through its network. Instructions transmitted over this system are not binding on CSFB until they are confirmed by us. Message transmission is not guaranteed to be secure.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk