[Gllug] Email servers.

Peter Joanes pjoanes at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 10:24:33 UTC 2005

On Thursday 12 May 2005 10:40, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> Finally, I am thinking of changing my ISP and getting a fixed IP address,
> this would allow me to remove the need for POP3 and I could take SMTP
> inbound. Which software would be best for this ?

You can get SMTP with a dynamic IP address, by using the ODMR (On Demand Mail
Relay) variant. I retrieve mail for a few domains using fetchmail from
Gradwell.com, whom I can recommend as DNS hosts.
Actually, I have a static IP but there are also some other benefits for me
such as not needing port 25 open, and (with Gradwell's service) being able to
access the spool via webmail. Functionally, it's quite like POP3 but retains
the envelope information.

Cheers,
-	Pete.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk