[Gllug] Email servers.

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Thu May 12 15:58:00 UTC 2005

Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> OK,
>
> I have been thinking about this a bit more and looking at some man pages etc.
>
> If I use postfix and configure it to relay external email out to my hosted
> mail server I won't get bounced mail from AOL etc. Also when I get a static
> IP and decide to change my DNS entries to point mail to that static IP
> address it should work without too many issues. My internal mail clients
> can use my local SMTP service to redirect mail. That way if I forward
> a mail from one account to another it won't go outside of my network.
>
> The next question is over fetchmail. I have just read the man page (or
> started)
> and it states that fetchmail will use SMTP internally, therefore I can
> connect to my hosted POP3 account and allow fetchmail to push it onto
> SMTP which is configured to deliver to my IMAP server. What happens if
> I subscribe to gllug from one of my home accounts, my name will not be in
> the header so will postfix know where to deliver it?
That would be a simple email alias in /etc/postfix/aliases or
/etc/aliases (or wherever the file is in on your distro) saying
something like
gllugmail at mydomain.com	simon

where simon would be a local user and gllugmail at mydomain.com is the
address you used to subscribe to gllug
this of course requires that postifx is willing to accept mail for
delivery to mydomain.com, and that mailservers in the outside world know
where to send mail so that it reaches either you or your ISP.
you can configure the first of these either by setting up virtual
mailboxes or playing with the $mydestination parameter in main.cf. The
second is a DNS issue.

> Someone has suggested I use procmail and I can then use spamassasin and
> a virus scanner. Is this correct ? It would mean fetchmail would pass
> to procmail, would procmail write direct to the IMAP directories or
> would it use postfiix as well ?
the normal setup for this would be
fetchmail -> postfix -> procmail -> IMAP folders
you will have to tell postfix to use procmail or it won't acknowledge
its existence.
a .procmailrc in your home directory will filter mail into individual
folders for you (this is exactly howw my mailserver works).
you will need to configure your IMAP server to recognise your mail
storage locations. Personally I use dovecot for this, which is a doddle
to set up, but any IMAP server should be fine.

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE RHCX RTFM
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk