[Gllug] Email servers.

Wiehe, Simon simon.wiehe at csfb.com
Thu May 12 12:20:40 UTC 2005

OK,

I have been thinking about this a bit more and looking at some man pages etc.

If I use postfix and configure it to relay external email out to my hosted
mail server I won't get bounced mail from AOL etc. Also when I get a static
IP and decide to change my DNS entries to point mail to that static IP
address it should work without too many issues. My internal mail clients
can use my local SMTP service to redirect mail. That way if I forward
a mail from one account to another it won't go outside of my network.

The next question is over fetchmail. I have just read the man page (or
started)
and it states that fetchmail will use SMTP internally, therefore I can
connect to my hosted POP3 account and allow fetchmail to push it onto
SMTP which is configured to deliver to my IMAP server. What happens if
I subscribe to gllug from one of my home accounts, my name will not be in
the header so will postfix know where to deliver it?

Someone has suggested I use procmail and I can then use spamassasin and
a virus scanner. Is this correct ? It would mean fetchmail would pass
to procmail, would procmail write direct to the IMAP directories or
would it use postfiix as well ?

Thanks

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk