[Gllug] OSS CMSs

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue May 3 23:47:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 12:23:21AM +0100, Russell G. Howe wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 01:21:34AM +0100, Richard Turner wrote:
> > Typically they're all accustomed to using Word so might not take
> > very well to the additional abstraction of even very simple text
> > markup instead of WYSIWYG editing.
>
> Google for FCKeditor - it's a sourceforge-based project.
>
> An abomination of Javascript and DHTML etc, but it seems to work in many
> browsers. The site has an online demo you can try.

Which conveniently failed in my web browser :-) When working on the
APLAWS+ content management system for local authorities, we incorporated
HTMLArea as the WYSIWYG editor. It was reasonable easy to customize and
integrate & it has a quite neat spell checker (backended by a Perl CGI
to aspell). It does require Moz 1.3 or higher & IE 5.0+

  http://www.dynarch.com/projects/htmlarea/

Sadly, the project seems to have just been dropped by its main corporate
sponser, but it is open source at least..

Regards,
Dan.