[Gllug] Upgrading thin ethernet....

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue May 10 00:48:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 01:40 +0100, Liam Smit wrote:

> That is a serious space constraint if you can't run a length of cat5/6
> between the segments.

It's accessibility and convenience more than space. The old cable has
had things built on top of it that make it kind of hard to replace.

> How about using WLAN to link the two segments? A point to point link
> with 802.11g would give you 54mbps.

There are enough walls between points A and B that I'd be unlikely to
get a wireless signal through without starting to put up external
antennae on the building, which is a road I'd really rather not go
down....

> > Is anyone aware of anything I can use to get more than 10Mbps of
> > bandwidth out of the coax? There will only ever be the two stations
> > attached to it, which might help. The only thing I know of is from
> > http://www.coaxsys.com/, who claim to have a product capable of getting
> > 100Mbps out, but they're in the US, and don't bother replying to emails
> > asking how one might buy the product, so I'm hoping there's a better
> > company out there....
>
> Not really. I'm really racking my brains here to try and recall if you
> can replace thin ethernet with thick ethernet in some easy way. But the
> last time I played with a 10mbps coax network was probably late 20th
> century...

Wasn't thick ethernet only 5Mbps anyway? It's been some time since I've
seen that stuff too though....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk