[Gllug] How to report online crime...

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Mon May 23 08:32:24 UTC 2005

Rainforestanne at aol.com wrote:

> domain in being at their site taking customers details. I have had that
> done to me in alert as none payment. I found that there are many trying
> to use code to get such details. Report it to ebay on the link and go to
> message boards and let the community know that this is happening.

[ Going slighty OT here, but still *somewhat* relevant ]

Ebay can be quite slow at acting on anything reported to them.  I
bought a copy of Ella Enchanted from somebody in Norwich which I
thought was a legitimate region 1 DVD.    Turns out it wasn't - it's
was a dodgy as chocolate teapot.  The mistakes on the cover print were
hilarious and that it advertised itself as a DVD9 disc whereas in
reality it was a DVD5.

I reported him to both FACT and Ebay and the guy is still continuing
to sell dodgy DVDs.  And he's a power seller too.  FACT are usually
very good at responding to piracy so I'm very surprised they didn't
come down on him like a ton of bricks.  Ebay are usually quite good
too, but they still haven't done anything.  He's still a power seller
and is still trading.  I've given up trying to report this chap as
it's falling on deaf ears.

What's also annoying is that his other customers who noticed the disks
they were buying are pirated did not leave negative feedback.  It
seems that everybody is so scared at receiving negative feedback in
kind that they either just leave a neutral or a positive with words to
the effect that "It's a pirate, but's it's good quality - many thanks".

--
Martyn Drake
http://www.drake.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk