[Gllug] CD-Rom Writing,

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue May 3 09:58:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Peter Childs wrote:

> I'm trying to write some files to a cdrom again and my cdrom writter has
> stopped working under linux again I can't see whats wrong and i've
> tryied everything even upgrading to 2.6.

Open a shell, su to root and then execute the following:

cdrecord -scanbus

or if that does not work:

cdrecord dev=ATAPI: -scanbus

If neither of these shows you a list of cd devices including your cdrw
drive your system would seem not to have recognised the device at all
which would be very unusual.

If the latter of these works you don't have ide-scsi (which I consider to
be a good thing not to have!) and should ensure that which ever frontend
you are using to cdrecord knows this. Alternatively just use cdrecord
directly - it is very easy.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £15.99 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk