[Gllug] Web hosting

Ian Norton ianort at essex.ac.uk
Tue May 31 23:09:04 UTC 2005

Mike Leigh wrote:

>Martyn Drake wrote:
>

>>1&1 are THE most outrageously inefficient web hosting company
>>(apart from Fasthosts) that I've ever come across.  Bytemark,
>>PI, or anybody else for that matter (even Hosteurope!), would
>>make for a better hosting provider than 1&1.
>>

>I honestly can't complain about the support or reliability I have received
>from fasthosts.  I have a dedicated server from them and so far the
>performance has been really good (no one uses it though) and I have not
>suffered any downtime that I am unaware of.  My server runs FC3 and has most
>of the tools you will need to start with.  Of course its your server so you
>can pretty much do what you want with it.  The matrix control panel is a
>little strange at first and their FAQ's / tutorials are non existant.  The
>only time I have dealt with their support team so far is to do with some DNS
>records that were not configured correctly which was not their fault.  They
>still helped me resolve my issue with my domain provider.  Now from what I
>can tell that seems to be pretty good support.

\begin{rant}

When I had a re-seller account with fasthosts they were the biggest
bunch of monkeys ever,
the support people would often say things like "you cant get on our ftp
server because you
aren't using internet explorer"...

While experimenting with ASP (spit) I noticed thier ASP test/tutorial
server had the old ASP
upload/download bug where you could use thier example scripts to
upload/download/overwrite
any file on thier system. A friendly email pointing out that the server
was vulnrable resulted in a rather
nasty email threatening termination of our account*. They even went as
far as saying that it was not a
security issue and that resellers had access to that machine...
\end{rant}

*admittedly possibly due to the commented smiley face I saved into it's
boot.ini several days after they
ignored my first email.

Ian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk