[Gllug] Server ISP recommended?

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Thu May 12 21:51:36 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 22:02 +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
> "If there is a substantial outage, we will always make an announcement.
> A minor PHP upgrade wouldn't normally be cause for alarm, except for the
> flakiness of PHP. You can't win with it, really. We had customers
> screaming that an upgrade needed to be performed because their sites
> don't work, you do the upgrade, and bang! you've blown away somebody
> else's site.
>
> I Hate PHP... Ack."

OMG! That is very unprofessional, an ISP cannot say this to you. It
would be the last e-mail I would have read from them, too.

PHP creates a major headache for everybody involved, sysadmin folk
included, the usual approach is to only upgrade the current sub-branch
of PHP (such as 4.3) and stick to that one thing. Somebody asks for a
custom module/version upgrade, they can look for another webhost. To
break things for *existing* customers is plainly stupid.

Jan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk