[Gllug] uml networking

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed May 11 10:41:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Minty prattled cheerily:
> I'm thinking about playing with UserMode Linux and specifically want
> to have the virtual servers on different local (private) net blocks.
>
> ..adsl/static ip...
>     UML Host -> Virtual Host1 @ 192.168.1.1
>        | | |__> Virtual Host2 @ 192.168.1.2
>        | |____> Virtual Host3 @ 192.168.2.1
>        |______> Virtual Host4 @ 192.168.2.2
>
> And have each virtual host routable to any other virtual host, and

That'd be easier if they were all on the same subnet.

> From what I can see of the docs, this isn't a big deal.  I need to
> setup the physical host to masquerade and also do port forwarding if I
> want the virtual hosts to be reachable from the outside world

No need for all that: just use bridging. No masquerading is necessarily
required (although you might indeed need to do some routing and
forwarding to get the packets onto the right subnet).

> Just wondering if anyone has done something similar and any gotchas to
> watch for?

I have a more elaborate setup for my UML-based firewall. See
<http://lists.gllug.org.uk/pipermail/gllug/2003-November/040284.html>
for details (including an example of setting up bridging with Alexey
Kuznetsov's lovely ip(8) tool).

--
`End users are just test loads for verifying that the system works, kind of
 like resistors in an electrical circuit.' - Kaz Kylheku in c.o.l.d.s
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk