[Gllug] 'lost' partition -- can anyone help?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri May 20 16:48:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 17:21 +0100, Chris Hutchison wrote:

> But when it came to: "Now run gpart /dev/..." (and I ran it as
> "[root at localhost floppy]# gpart /dev/hdb"), I got the response "bash:
> gpart: command not found" ...
>
> Presumably I'm not being very clever somewhere ...
Easily fixed.
the gpart executable is not in your path of executables.
You can see this by printenv PATH

So simply cd do the directory where gpart is and do
./gpart /dev/hdb

In general, root does not have the current directory .
as part of the PATH - this is a bad idea for security,
as e.g. an unpriveleged user can put something malicious in /tmp/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk