[Gllug] [ot] borked net transaction

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Fri May 6 16:40:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 05:30:01PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 15:49 +0100, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> > On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 03:47:36PM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> > > Perhaps Tet would care to enlighten us as to actually what DOES happen if
> > > you dispute a credit card transaction ...
> >
> > So far as I can tell after disputing a chain of transactions with Egg,
> > sweet FA.
> >
> > You certainly *don't* get your money back.
>
> Sounds like a good reason not to have a card from Egg then.  (I once
> applied for a card from them but they were so stunningly incompetent I
> cancelled the application before they finished processing it.)
>
> I've never had any difficulty getting my money back on disputed
> transactions.  The onus is on the retailer to *prove* that you placed
> the order, not the other way around.  IME both American Express and MBNA
> will apply a temporary credit to your account immediately you raise the
> query, then if the retailer can't justify the charge or simply doesn't
> respond, the credit becomes permanent.

There's a company in Sheffield, who take a tenner a month off my VISA.
I've no idea who they are, or how to stop them.

I had a conversation with Egg which like this.

"Hi, can you tell me who $COMPANY are?"
"Why?"
"Well, they're taking a tenner a month out for *something*, but I don't
have a clue what for or why."
"Well did you authorize them?"
"I don't think so! I don't recognise the company name. Can you find out
what it is?"
"Well it's a recurring payment so you must have authorized it"
"I don't think so. Could you find out who they are, what they're
charging for, and we'll take it from there?"
"Could it be porn, Mr Bernstein?"
"Excuse me?"
"Could it be a subscription to a porn site?"
"No. Do you see any other porn on my credit card?! I'm asking you to
investigate this because it looks like fraud."
"Well I'll pass it on"

7 weeks have passed, nothing has happened. And there's been another
charge in the meantime. I'm bloody _certain_ that they won't have a
signed counterfoil. Any advice gratefully accepted.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk