[Gllug] [ot] borked net transaction

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Fri May 6 19:35:42 UTC 2005

> Which is odd, because I don't believe my credit is too shoddy

If you sign up (free) at www.zopa.com they effectively do a credit
check, and tell you the score (rather than just pass/fail).  You have
to give them all your details to do so

Or, you can go to the source and pay a tenner http://www.equifax.co.uk/

Oh, and a small tale/rant about my experiences with 0% balance
transfers with HBOS, who I have come to hate.

- Signed up, transferred balance, lovely
... a few months pass ...
- Got some cash via an ATM while on holiday (minor emergency)

Cash advance not subject to 0%, so monthly charges begin.  You *have*
to pay off the money with the lowest interest first, so until I
cleared the entire amount, I would be getting charged interest on the
relatively small cash advance.  Arse.

So I paid my entire bill & phoned up to cancel.  Done.

Then, I get a bill for the "interest" due between when the bill was
issued, and when it was paid.  So I phoned up, to ask how much I
needed to pay.  Otherwise, I'd be in a loop, paying the bill and
attracting interest for the few days in-between the bill being issued
and them getting my payment.

But they couldn't tell me how much.  Literal quote:

ME: "How much do I owe you?"
HBSO: "We don't know, we cannot find out, it's not in the system anywhere"

So after some arguing, I was told to "overpay", otherwise I would keep
being liable for the interest in the few days inbetween.

So I overpay by about 10 quid, phone up a few days after the due date
and ask them to send me a cheque for the balance.  They won't do this
unless you expressly ask them to.

I confirm, twice, that the account is now closed and I that I do not
owe them any more money.  They confirm my balance is zero.  This is
the sneaky bit, because it is zero when I call, but....

They then send me a bill for £0.01 in "interest".  It appears I
reclaimed my balance a little too soon.  No, they didn't warn me.

I transferred 10p into the account, so it is now 9p in credit.  Which
means they will be sending me a statement every month.  Hee.

But HBOS are a company I will never go anywhere near ever again.
Sneaky and under-handed does not begin to describe my opinion of them.

Nationwide on the other hand I have been amazed with.  Great great
service and products.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk