[Gllug] [ot] borked net transaction

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri May 6 18:46:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 17:58 +0100, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 05:51:59PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 17:40 +0100, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> > > Any advice gratefully accepted.
> >
> > There are dozens of companies out there desperate to let you have a
> > credit card.  Cancel your Egg card and get one from a competent company.
>
> Can you suggest one?

I've had good experiences of MBNA over 10+ years.  I started with an
Acorn loyalty card issued by them, then when that was discontinued just
got a plain MBNA Platinum card (well, two actually).

>  The impression I've had in the past when trying to
> apply for a second one [to transfer the balance] is that nobody wants to
> give me one. Which is odd, because I don't believe my credit is too
> shoddy. *shrug*

If you're turned down for a card and you know of no reason why you
should have been then ask the company for details of the credit-scoring
agencies which they used to come to their decision.  They *must* provide
you with this information.  Then ask the credit-scoring companies for a
copy of their records on you.  Again, they are required by law to
provide the information for a nominal charge.

Credit card companies spend a lot of time and money trying to attract
people with outstanding balances to transfer.  If they say they don't
want you then there must be a reason (real or imaginary) there
somewhere.

HTH
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk