[Gllug] No access to GUI for Mandrake Linux!

Ian Norton inorton at iee.org
Wed May 4 09:46:49 UTC 2005

chanka perera wrote:
 > On 5/4/05, Sabah Iftikhar <s.iftikhar at c-x-r.com> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I'm having problems with my Mandrake Linux 10.1. Having left a large simultation program running,I find that I am not able to gain entry to the graphical user interface. I am however, able to work on the text mode. The simulation had a "segmentation fault" and crashed out.
>>The memory for the partition of the drive I was using was about 6G and it is full according to 'df' in bash. I suspect that the program I was running had some kind of memory leak (up to 1G).
>>I have tried the 'find' function to look for a file +10000k but nothing shows up. I think I need to free the memory by removing a file/s generated by the simulation programme.
>>
>>Any suggestions? (please let me know if I need to include more details.)
>>
 > can you send you /var/log/messages out put and X log files...
  [top post re-formatted]

you cant login to X because when you get to the stage where you have 0%
free on a filesystem. then ordinary users are now allowed to write to it
(so it wont make your X temp files and logs) [actually, there is still
some space and linux lets root use that]

you should still be able to login in a vt as root,

if your simulation died, can you remember what directory you were
running the program in?, chances are the garbage is in that folder,
there might be a massive 'core' file there.

Ian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk