[Gllug] Web hosting

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat May 28 15:07:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 15:34 +0100, Martyn Drake wrote:
[snip]
> 1&1 are THE most outrageously inefficient web hosting company (apart
> from Fasthosts) that I've ever come across.  Bytemark, PI, or anybody
> else for that matter (even Hosteurope!), would make for a better hosting
> provider than 1&1.
>
> Why are 1&1 so bad?  Well, they insist on you having to control your
> domain which is completely unnecessary.

I too found that 1&1 fell at the first hurdle when I contemplated using
them.  The person I spoke to didn't seem to understand that it was
possible for them to host a website for me (which was the service that
they were advertising) without also taking control of my domain name.
This lack of clue on the part of their staff made me very disinclined to
use them.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk