[Gllug] Web hosting

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Sat May 28 14:34:52 UTC 2005

Aaron Trevena wrote:

> Shared hosting like 1&1 (who support the FFII) is the cheapest but
> least powerful/flexible and a couple of quid a month, virtual servers
> like bytemark (who support debian and free software authors and are
> nice helpful chaps) start about 15 quid a month and give you a full
> virtual server, which can be nice if a little sluggish sometimes.

1&1 are THE most outrageously inefficient web hosting company (apart
from Fasthosts) that I've ever come across.  Bytemark, PI, or anybody
else for that matter (even Hosteurope!), would make for a better hosting
provider than 1&1.

Why are 1&1 so bad?  Well, they insist on you having to control your
domain which is completely unnecessary.  When I first tried them out
they wouldn't give me the DNS information so I can update my own DNS
records accordingly.  The fool that I was, I gave IPStag control to
them.  When I cancelled the account after silly support issues (support?
  What support?!  The account wasn't even set-up properly and support
couldn't have cared less) it took them a week after the account was
closed to update the IPStag - something that shouldn't take more than 30
seconds,  if that.

M. - goes to scrub himself thoroughly clean after the mention of 1&1
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk