[Gllug] Home desktop PC rebuild with Linux?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Nov 24 21:10:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 19:06 +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> You havn't lived 'til you've fiddled with someone else's BIOS settings,
> 1000 miles from home,  and discovered the bloody thing won't boot at all, hehe!

1000 miles!?  Pah!  Chicken feed.

Try setting off for Australia, carrying what you hope are all the tools
you will need to boot and commission a new computer system there, and
knowing that if you've made a mistake in the sysgen you'll have to come
all the way back to do another one.

Although I did once manage to get someone else out of the same problem
in Milan, when he'd brought a system with him which he couldn't boot.  I
patched it using the front-panel switches to the point where it could
*just* boot, which then enabled us to do a fresh sysgen and correct his
mistakes.

And you try telling young peopl!"£(*&(^&^$*%^$&£
NO CARRIER

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk