[Gllug] Will Doom 3 for Windows runs on Linux?

Peter Grandi pg_gllug at gllug.for.sabi.co.UK
Wed Nov 16 16:10:10 UTC 2005

>>> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:21:54 +0000, Henry Gilbert
>>> <henry.gilbert at gmail.com> said:

henry.gilbert> A friend of mine whose machine has been
henry.gilbert> partitioned to run Linux - though he has never
henry.gilbert> used it yet. Is asking me if Doom 3 that he
henry.gilbert> bought will also run on Linux.

Yes, if one downloads the no-cost Linux version of the game
engine, and 3D acceleration is available and installed. Thanks
to the magic of symbolic links one can even share the game data
compatibly between the MS Windows and GNU/Linux on dual boot
systems.

Links for a few major games, including one for Doom3 on Linux,
here:

  http://WWW.sabi.co.UK/Notes/linuxNotes.html#majorGames

Getting 3D acceleration working can be very easy or rather
annoying depending on distribution and circumstances.

But then there are very many tutorials/HOWTOs (most of them
distribution and 3D card brand specific) around.

henry.gilbert> He is beginning to get frustrating problems in
henry.gilbert> Windows XP and he is contemplating writing his
henry.gilbert> "best-selling" novel on the Linux partition
henry.gilbert> instead for safety.

Safety is about backups, much more so than any MS Windows
vs. GNU/Linux comparison. At a minimum I'd suggest an LG 416x
drive capable of writing DVD-RAM and rotating backups on at
least 3 different DVD-RAM discs.

[ ... ]

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk