[Gllug] OpenSlug or Unslung

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 19:53:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 19:26 +0000, John Winters wrote:

> The services which I want are:
>
> 	DNS server
> 	DHCP server
> 	NIS server
> 	Mail server
> 	NFS server
> 	Samba server
>
> I've been ploughing my way through the various (rather confused)
> OpenSlug and Unslung pages trying to decide which way to go but it isn't
> clear.  Is there anyone here with experience of either of these
> environments who could offer advice on the choice?

I didn't get on with Unslung, and have never regretted ditching it for
Openslug. I got ssh out of the box, and had Samba and NFS running in 5
minutes.

Both the Linksys and Unslung firmwares can be funny about recognising
disks. In my case, the disk I wanted to attach was pretty much full and
I had no desire to reformat & lose 250Gb of documents just so that the
slug would recognise my disk. No such problem with Openslug.

> Currently I incline towards Big Endian Debian using OpenSlug as a boot
> loader.  Comments?

I don't get it. I thought Redboot was the boot loader - clobbering that
sounds like a good way to make a brick without straw.

You can probably get all you want with Openslug, no need for Debian -
which would be very nice, but probably worth going to the trouble of
running the box little endian, and getting the benefit of Debian's ARM
packages.

Tom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk