[Gllug] Fedora Core 4 sound - just an observation

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 12:00:40 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Henry Gilbert announced authoritatively:
> Well I don't have access to that Fedora 4 box.
> So maybe the new esd RPM works -
>
> But at the time what seemed to do the trick was the obsolete OSS (now
> commercial http://www.opensound.com)
>
> Before that I kept desperately trying different combinations for esd.conf
> [esd]
> auto_spawn=1
> spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -d default
> spawn_wait_ms=100

auto_spawn is death on effective sound; you really want an antiniced esd
or one forced into one of the realtime priority classes, and neither of
these aer possible unless ESD is a system-started persistent daemon.
With auto_spawn, it is not.

> but the OSS ensured sound was OK and I didn't want to take more risks.

It made it worse for me... :/

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
 I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk