[Gllug] Email record retention

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 25 13:25:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Simon Rumble wrote:
> On 24/11/2005, "Sean Burlington" <sean at uncertainty.org.uk> wrote:
>>odd how jihad tends not to get translated when there is a perfectly good
>>english word with exactly the same meaning ...
>
> Nope.  Crusade is derived from the latin word "crux" meaning cross.
> Not at all what Jihadis are about.

Well, there *is* a perfectly good word: `struggle'. Has all the right
connotations of inner-or-outer too. (Just because a certain strain of
nutters is currently saying that jihad -> mass murder of innocents
doesn't mean that's what it means to the sane majority.)

(But, no, `crusade' is not it. I've always mentally translated `crusade'
as `episode of gung-ho foolishness leading to disaster'...)

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
 freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk