[Gllug] Mysterious reboot

Wiehe, Simon simon.wiehe at csfb.com
Thu Nov 17 17:56:25 UTC 2005

Hi,

I got home from work today to find that my machine had mysteriously
restarted. It is normally up for weeks or months without the need to
restart and over the last 4 years I have never had this happen, and
I leave the machine on 24x7. I have checked the syslog etc. and I can
find no reason for a shutdown, just a message in the log that states
restarting. Does anyone have any idea why this might have happened,
surely if there was a failure I would not get restarting in the log.
I thought about power and we had no power problems at that time, the
only other thing I can think of is the temperature, it was running
at 45 degrees, normally idles at about 47-49 degrees, but again I
would not have expected to see a restart message, just a starting
message if the machine had died unexpectedly.

Can someone help me to where to look to investigate further?

I am running Ubuntu Breezy.

Thanks

Simon

http://www.csfb.com/legal_terms/disclaimer_external_email.shtml