[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 7 23:41:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Richard Jones whispered secretively:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 07:07:51PM +0000, Richard Turner wrote:
>> A catalogue is a little more useful than a list of names too - it's
>> handly for inspiration as to how to assemble a solution.
>
> Some patterns are just workarounds for problems in many OO languages.
> For example: Visitor (in particular), Facade (to some extent), and
> "inversion of control".  And, if you ask me, MVC.  If you have a
> decent language, these patterns don't make sense.

Entirely agreed. Some of them are so clumsy that it's almost easier
to write an interpreter for a decent language instead, just to
avoid using them.

> PS. I don't know why I'm in such a flamebait mood today.  Was it that
> I've been talking at work to a bunch of Java programmers?

Hey, some of us are Java programmers *and* think it sucks. :)

--
`Heinlein is quite competent at putting together sentences, but usually
he also puts together a plot to go with them.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk